RV destroyed after it catches fire parked along a Rancho San Diego street – The San Diego Union-Tribune
A recreational vehicle caught fire while parked along a Rancho San Diego street Wednesday morning, destroying the RV and sending fuel running into a nearby storm drain, a San Miguel Fire and Rescue official said.
The fire happened shortly before 7 a.m. on Fury Lane at Paseo Sequieros, several blocks east of Avocado Boulevard.
The owners were working on the carburetor system. When they tried to jumpstart the RV, it caught fire, Battalion Chief Roddey Blunt told OnScene TV.
“We did have free flowing gasoline coming out of the RV, flowing into the storm drain,” Blunt said.
It took about a half an hour to keep the gasoline from entering the storm drain, he said. A hazardous material crew and California Fish and Wildlife workers assisted in the effort, he said.
Paramedics assessed the couple, who lives in the RV, for smoke inhalation but they were not taken to a hospital, Blunt said.